Andrew specialises in residential Landlord and Tenant disputes ranging from possession actions to issues with long leases including service charge disputes in the Courts and in the First Tier Tribunal. He also deals with disputes arising in the niche area of Leasehold Enfranchisement where lessees are pursuing their right to acquire a freehold or lease extensions and also represents for groups of lessees exercising their Right to Manage.
Andrew advises clients on professional negligence claims against solicitors and surveyors arising out of residential property transactions.#
He regularly undertakes his own advocacy on both the Court and Tribunal when appropriate.
Andrew’s clients range from Landlords with large property portfolios and those with just one investment property; individual lessees or large groups lessees working together on Enfranchisement claims. He works with and supports Landlords and their Letting Agents and Managing Agents seeking assistance in managing property, including assisting and advising on Major Works projects. He has wide experience in dealing with difficult tenants and lessees.
Approachable and candid, Andrew treats each client’s matter with a view to getting the outcome they are looking for in the most sensible and cost effective way, offering pragmatic advice and cost effective solutions. Working with the client to resolve a legal problem Andrew provides constant support ensuring he communicates clearly with them, responding promptly and being proactive wherever possible.
Away from work Andrew is a school Governor and is a Board member of the Sevenoaks Chamber of Commerce. When not working he is a regular squash player and golfer. He enjoys walking his dog, gardening and when the opportunity arises water sports such as windsurfing and surfing.
Areas of specialism
- Property disputes, Landlord & Tenant, Enfranchisement disputes, professional negligence claims, possessions claims
- Leasehold reform disputes, disputes in the leasehold valuation tribunal relating to service charges and freehold valuations (Cases include:
Castlegroom Ltd v Enoch (no 1)  2 EGLR54;  31 EG 69;
Castlegroom Ltd v Enoch & Ors (No2)  3 EGLR 46)
Calladine-Smith v Saveorder Ltd  EWHC 2501 (Ch)
- Residential landlord and tenant disputes including possession claims and all the issues arising out of Assured Shorthold Tenancies.
- Service charge disputes and forfeiture of residential long leases.
- Supporting managing agents in the management of blocks of residential flats including advising on section 20 consultation and procedures for major works.
- Disputes arising out of Enfranchisement claims both in the County Court and the First Tier Tribunal.
- Professional negligence claims arising out of property transactions.
- Advocacy in the County Court and in the First Tier Tribunal.
Professional QUALIFICATIONS / Memberships
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (1992 ACIArb)
London Litigation Solicitors Association
Past president of the Bromley and District Law Society
Rota member of the Bromley Citizens Advice Bureau
Governor at Farringtons School
Board member of Sevenoaks Chamber of Commerce
What our clients say
“Both my wife and I, were hugely impressed by the professional and compassionate way that Andrew dealt with our case. I am particularly grateful to Andrew, because not only did he conduct himself with the utmosprofessional courtesy and efficiency at every stage of our case, but in my opinion, he went beyond his expected role in making me feel that he was a genuine and empathetic partner for us. ”
“I am indebted to you for the professional experience and expertise which has informed the excellent way in which you handled the case and your kind support is much appreciated.”
“I'd just like to thank you for providing a first rate service and for making it as pleasurable as is possible in the situation.”